Friday, June 24, 2005

Eurail - Sleeper Cab

Friday night, Lexi and I boarded our first Eurail overnight to Paris. We were just settling into our bunks, when we realized that we were supposed to have validated our tickets in the station. That meant a hefty 75 CHF fine for each of us. Doh! It was my bad as I had taken care of the reservations, but not the validation when I was at the station earlier this week. Atleast we were still able to go. I would have been real bummed if we had been kicked off the train instead. Money is less important than time after all.

The sleeper cabs have their benefits and shortcomings. They aren't too hot, which is a blessing in this weather. People are very good about being quiet on them. I was probably the loudest with my constant tossing and turning (this is why Lexi and I need a california king size bed at home). The bunks are just a little too short for me. This makes it slightly hard to get to sleep. The rocking of the train is actually pretty soothing though. I think that if the trip was a little longer we would've been fully rested when we arrived.

Once we were at the station, we found that there are no restrooms available at the Paris Est Station without having a half euro coin on you. We found an ATM to get some Euros. We also found that automated ticket machines do not accept any of our credit cards. We managed to find a teller and some tickets to Epernay with enough time leftover before our train to get a croissant and a pain au chocolate (croissant like pastry with chocolate in the middle. Soooo Good!) before catching the train to Epernay, which we were able to get another hour of sleep on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home