Thursday, June 23, 2005

Our Zurich Apartment

Here's a tour of our apartment. This is how you would come across each of the rooms.


Coming into the house you enter our hallway.


Immediately on your right is the office, where I hang out in the morning blogging and watching videos.


On your immediate left is the bathroom.


The next door on your right is the livingroom. The TV only has 1.7 English stations: BBC and Music Videos. It's kind of funny to watch 50 Cent transition into some German hip hop group.


Across from the livingroom on the left is the kitchen. The electric range takes forever to warm up, but it works fine enough to cook gnocci.


The final door on the left is the bedroom. You can see the shades, which are all over the house. Lexi and I agree that when we get a house we've got to get these shades.


The shades are more like shutters. When they're completely closed, no light comes through at all, which is great for me. Teaching has conditioned me to wake up whenever it gets bright so these are the only way I can sleep in until noon. Crank them halfway up, you get some light and breeze but keep your privacy. Cranked all the way up, you can see where Lexi and I camped out on the balcony.



The cranking system is a perfect example of Swiss design. A magnet holds it in place and then it folds out to let you crank it up and down in a second.


The trash bin for our apartment. If you can't tell fromt the picture, it's real tiny, considering it's the only one provided for our building of 8 apartments. The Swiss take their trash seriously. Stores will often take the boxes off your products for you so you don't fill up your trash at home. There are also official trash bags you have to use so they can keep track of how much you throw out. It must be something related to the fact that Switzerland is a small country so they can't ship their trash far away and forget about it.


Here's the bike I bought. Lexi's is the same model but smaller. It was definitely pricier than a similar bike in the US. The tires are a little wider than my hybrid at home.


My favorite feature on the bike is the generator for the lights. I hadn't seen one of these except for the episode of the simpsons where Bart finds the comet.



Lexi and I are going to a Google party tonight. Every Google office is apparently having an off-site today. Tomorrow we're off to Paris for our trip to Champagne. I even think they'll let us play Holdem at the Aviation Club de Paris. Apparently, it's not a members only thing. I've wanted to play there since I saw it on the World Poker Tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home