Sunday, July 31, 2005

Redeeming myself at the ACF

It was raining when we woke up the next morning so we ran into the nearest brasserie. I had a blue cheese steak and Lexi had the duck. After breakfast we went to the card room, but we got there an hour before the poker games started so we wandered the Champs Elysees.

We quickly came to the conclusion that there is nothing we want to buy along the Champs Elysees. All the clothing stores are overpriced high fashion nonsense. One of the mannequins looks like Michael Jackson from the thriller video. It would cost you some 1000 euro for the privilege of looking like Mike in his prime.

Back at the card room, we sat down at the first table to form. Quickly enough the player to my right figured out that I was playing rather tight. He even joked with me about it, which is an attempt to get me to loosen up because he was tired of having to throw away hands to my preflop raises. I didn't loosen up though and instead I started catching some cards. I nearly quadrupled up on a wired pair of aces. When I called a tight preflop raiser and two callers with them, I was slow playing for the benefit of the guy on my right who had called. When the flop came down with 3 nothing cards and two clubs with only a low straight possibility, the original raiser bet half the pot. The other two players called and I raised to twice the bet, to generate more action as I felt I was facing an underpair and two draws and wanted to get more money in. The original raiser went all in. The suspected draws both called and I pushed all in. Then the draws thought a while and called. I was a little worried the original raiser had trips, but I was pretty sure he wouldn't have raised pre flop with any of the wired pairs small enough to make trips. In the end, none of the draws came and the raiser only had wired kings, so I scooped a huge pot, which is a rare pleasure to do with pocket aces. After that, I actually started loosening up my game, which also helped me. A 2, 4 of clubs turned into twos full of fours which was paid off by an ace high flush. An ace high flush of mine was paid off by a queen high flush and so on until I left with nearly 600 euros in profit. I felt good about my play in the second half, though it was clear that my table image was quickly recognized in the first half. This allowed me to shift gears and play some bizarre draws profitibly later on.

We caught the Eurostar to London and walked past the London Eye, Westminister and Trafalgar Square (where there was live jazz) to our hotel just behind the giant neon signs at Piccadilly circus. The hotel felt like Ricketts house. You could hear a large group of people partying it up in one of the rooms as we passed. And the band in the Irish pub in our hotel was playing Green Day covers.

Murphy's law of hotel rooms without their own bathrooms. Once you don't have a bathroom in your room you will always need it. Still the room was clean and the bed was comfortable and we had this great view.


That night we went out to the Horse and Carriage for sandwiches and a pint. There is still no ale like Bombardier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home